Children and Families

Leading family law solicitors

We are leading family law solicitors based in Exeter and working across Devon. Our highly experienced family lawyers can advise on parental rights and responsibilities, child custody arrangements and contact disputes. We are providers of legal aid for family law matters and can advise whether you are eligible.

  • When did you last see your child?
  • Has contact with your child been stopped?
  • Are you worried about your child’s welfare in the care of another?
  • Has somebody stopped you from seeing your child?
  • Do you have concerns about a new partner?
  • Is your ex-partner trying to stop you from seeing your children?
  • Is the other parent wanting to make plans for your child which you are unhappy about?
  • Do you or the other parent want to move away with the children?
  • Are you dealing with Cafcass as part of your divorce or separation proceedings?

How we work

Our specialist family law solicitors can provide legal advice to anybody in close contact with a child, including parents, grandparents, siblings or extended family members.

A named family lawyer will deal with your case from start to finish. We can advise you about the criteria for legal aid for family law cases. You will be given clear and focused advice throughout your case including guidance about your position and how much the case will cost, where relevant. We will keep you fully informed about each stage and any outcomes.

Get in touch

Contact us to discuss your circumstances with a member of the family law team.

We are committed to providing an excellent, personalised service for all of our clients. We are accredited with the Lexcel Quality Mark by the Law Society, in recognition of the high quality of legal practice management and client care that our team provides.

Good service, in words I could understand.

Parental Responsibility

Arrangements for Children

Grandparents' Rights



Special Guardianship Orders

The team

More Information

How to legally change your name
How to legally change your name

Can I change my name? Did you know that there’s no legal process required if you want to start using a different name? However, if you want to use your new name on official documents such as your passport or driving license, you will need to provide evidence to prove...

read more
Christmas child arrangements: a guide for separated parents
Christmas child arrangements: a guide for separated parents

Tips for managing child arrangements over the festive period Even if your child arrangements work smoothly the rest of the year, Christmas can be a source of tension for many families trying to balance time with children. Our experienced Family team have shared their...

read more
Prospects for Care Leavers
Prospects for Care Leavers

February 18th marks Global Care Day – a celebration for the rights of children and young people with care experience.   At Cartridges Law in Exeter, many of our lawyers are used to working in and alongside the care system. We want to ensure that all young people in...

read more
Meet the Team: Kristi Ashworth
Meet the Team: Kristi Ashworth

“A good lawyer will help you manage your expectations and never overpromise on the likely outcomes in your case.”Kristi Ashworth - Paralegal / New Client Coordinator Telephone: 01392 286797 Email: Name: Kristi Ashworth Job title:...

read more