Exeter Dissenters' Graveyard Trust
At least 1,300 Dissenters - Protestants who dissented from the strictures of the Anglican Church - were buried in a small plot off Magdalen Road in Exeter between 1748 and 1854– known as the Dissenters’ Graveyard.
"In the period from 1748 to 1854 at least 1300 Dissenters - Protestants who dissented from the strictures of the Anglican Church - were buried in this small plot on the outskirts of the walled city of Exeter (Devon, U.K.). The site was owned by various Church groups until the 1980s when it passed into private ownership. Sadly, over the intervening years, the site has fallen into neglect and disrepair as the photographs on this website attest.
The small rectangular graveyard is situated at the junction of Magdalen Street and Bull Meadow Road, Exeter (see map below and click here for aerial view of the site), within the Southernhay and Friars Conservation Area and within the statutory Exeter Area of Archaeological Importance. It is also included in the Devon Gazetteer of Parks and Gardens of local historic interest (click here to access the Devon Gazetteer) as well as on the Exeter City Council schedule of heritage assets of local importance."
Cartridges Law have helped fund some of the restoration in the graveyard and got hands on volunteering with restoration. For updates on the project and to learn more about the Exeter Dissenters' Graveyard go to their website here
You can find biographies of some people buried in the graveyard & their families here
2016 Open Day
Exeter Dissenters' Graveyard Trust Heritage Open Days on Saturday 10th and Sunday11th September were a great success, in particular the tour on Saturday which we sponsored, helping to ensure it can be offered free of charge. A big thank you to the amazing actors and brilliant Lindsey the tour guide who all helped to bring the dissenters stories to life. Shout out too to all the volunteers today.
Some photos from the 2016 open day and previous volunteer days: